Monday 18 January 2016

Wheels of change



Our first family car, a Morris Minor in the 1960s:
Car number - JA 1395



It was a beautiful Sunday morning. I was driving my mother in my new car to Seremban to visit my aunt. In this modern age, a car is a necessity. As long as public transport is inefficient, people will continue to drive their own cars to get to their destination.   


Many of us seniors have been driving since the age of 18. We still need to drive, whether it is to work, to shop, to pay bills, to visit family and friends, to attend functions, to go for recreation or to run errands (for children, grandchildren or elderly parents). As long as we are healthy, have good vision and hearing, and we avoid peak hours, we hope to drive well into our golden years.    

That morning, I was driving on the slow lane of the highway. A lorry moving in front was a wee bit slow. I flashed my right indicator light and eased into the fast lane to overtake it. The driver of a car, who was very far behind, honked annoyingly. He accelerated and came very close to my car, almost kissing it.   


After overtaking the lorry, I moved back to the slow lane with as much calm as I could muster. Within seconds, the same car overtook me. I glanced at the driver. He stared angrily at me, and he gave me the finger. Mr Kiasu’s young handsome looks were somehow spoiled by his ugly behaviour.   

Mr Kiasu did not go far. Soon a queue built up on the fast lane. I heard a screeching sound as he applied the brakes. Crash! I did not wait to find out what happened!  


Why are some drivers in such a hurry? Does it matter if they arrive at a certain place 10 minutes later? When accidents happen, it is not only the injured who suffer but their family members, friends and other road users too, not to mention the wastage of money and invaluable time.   

Once upon a time, it was a pleasure to own a car and drive around town. I remember our first family car, a Morris Minor, in the 1960s. Although not equipped with air-conditioning, radio or compact disc player, it took us places and taught us family values.  

 
Our family car took us places and taught us family values

During weekends and school holidays, my family members and relatives (nine of us young kids, packed like sardines in the small car) enjoyed picnic trips to Templer's Park, Morib, Port Dickson and Mimaland. 

My siblings and I, together with our cousins, remember fondly those fun-filled days of swimming in Morib and Port Dickson, listening to music or our tiny transistor radio and then savouring my mother's curry chicken in the open air.
 
With my mother, siblings and cousins in Morib family: 24 Sept 1962


With my siblings and cousins in Morib:23 April 1966


We used to travel to Kuala Lumpur to watch epic movies. Driving on the old trunk road was relaxing with fresh air, blue skies and green rubber estates for company. For entertainment, we sang our favourite songs (called “oldies” now) throughout the journey.  

Cars of the 1960s were manually operated. We locked car doors using keys and we wind up the car windows by turning a handle below it. We changed gears, from one to four, while accelerating. It  was challenging to change gears without any jerky action. I remember my poor instructor’s anguish when I could not coordinate the clutch and accelerator properly during my driving lessons. Now most cars have automatic gears with functions of drive, reverse, neutral and parking.


On rainy days, driving was distressing. The windscreen wipers could clear the water externally but internally the mist that formed had to be continuously wiped with a piece of cloth. And there was no demister in the rear window – your passengers had to wipe the window dry for you. 


There were no indicator lights for turning right or left. Instead, I had to stretch my right hand out of the window for a right turn, or rotate it anticlockwise to turn left. Some cars had a cute contraption – an eight-inch long ruler-like plastic light – that flicked out from the side panel between the front and rear car-door windows. However, the outstretched hand was a better indicator, although you have to be sure cars do not overtake you at that moment! 



In the 1960s, an outstretched hand like this means I am turning right


Most people could only afford second-hand cars, which often stalled along the roadside due to overheating. Sometimes drivers tried to kick-start the engines themselves using an L-shaped metal bar to crank it back to life.  


During those good old days, drivers and other road users were considerate and helpful. They often gave way to others (women, children, senior citizens and four-legged road-users) with a friendly wave of the hand and a pleasant smile.  


Neighbours were always ready to lend a helping hand. Once, my car could not start and they helped me push it downhill to kick-start the engine. Nowadays, if your car breaks down, you have to call for help (the mechanic, the Automobile Association of Malaysia or the Highway Patrol) on your mobile phone. And you have to be wary of bad hats like thieves, rapists etc. 


Driving was less stressful then. Instead of traffic lights, there were many roundabouts at junctions which ensured smooth driving. However, we had to look out for pedestrians, bicycles, trishaws, motorcycles and the occasional cow or goat.   


Coming back to the present, high technology has made cars easier to handle and efficient to drive. The modern car with touch-button accessories are a boon to seniors.   
 

When I first got my new car, I was apprehensive of the numerous controls and buttons on the dashboard and driver’s door. I had to learn the functions of all the controls before I drive on the road.. I discovered what was amiss when the buzzers or flickering lights came on. I like the power-steering and beeping sounds for reversing which helped me greatly in parallel parking. This is because I am hopeless at parking.  


Numerous controls on the dashboard
 
Many buttons on the car door

I also like the fact that the all the doors are automatically locked soon after I start driving. The rear doors are child-protected for they can be opened from the outside only. This is good when young children or the elderly are in the car. The presence of safety belts, airbags and other safety features give me added confidence when I am on the road.  
 

I’m beginning to enjoy my high-tech car. Just like old cars evolving through the years, changes occur in our life too. If we are willing to learn new things, to accept changes and to adapt to them, our life can be happier and more pleasant.


My hitech car

.........................................................................................................................................
This article was published in the Star (Malaysian newspaper) on 16th August 2004. It is edited and photos are included here.

In 2004, I learnt how to handle my modern hitech car and enjoyed the mobility it provided. Now, in 2016, I am still learning and enjoying my "old faithful" hitech car which is 12 years old.








    

No comments:

Post a Comment