Wednesday 27 April 2016

Faults in bank vaults

Bank vaults in a bank

 “Panic Room”, a movie about paranoia and suspense, made my heart throb with
fear. Jodie Foster acted as a quick-witted mother who tried to protect her diabetic
daughter from intimidating intruders in a high tech-equipped room (called panic room), in her mansion.

This movie reminded me of a frightening experience I encountered in a bank
when I was locked in the vault. Overcome by fear, I thought that I would never see
daylight again. The bank vault was my panic room.

That eventful morning, I had entered the bank vault to get some documents from
my safe deposit box. I was aware that another customer had entered the vault in another section. However, when that customer left, the bank employee quickly closed the vault door and switched off the lights without realising I was still inside.

It happened very fast. One minute I was looking through my documents; the next
minute I was enveloped in pitched darkness. I could still recall the sound of the heavy metallic door as it closed: the echo of the steely sound in the silence was terrifying. Suddenly I was left alone in the cold dark room. Initial claustrophobia turned to panic!

“Hello, hello! Hey, I’m still in here!” I shouted. There was no answer. I shouted
again, with all my might. Then it dawned on me that the room was sound proof.

 Worrisome thoughts crossed my mind. What if no one came in that day! What if I
had to spend the night there! What if I passed out? What if…I could visualize the
newspaper headlines the next morning: Freak accidental death.

Dismissing such thoughts quickly, I tried to focus on the situation in hand. My
eyes gradually got used to the darkness. I groped my way to the entrance-cum-exit door.

I felt for the bell but could not find it. Panic gripped me again!

What should I do? I decided to use my muscles. With all the strength I could
muster, I knocked and banged hard at the door. Hey presto, it worked – the door opened!

Was I glad to see a human face in broad daylight! The bank employee stared at me with disbelief when she switched on the lights.

“I’m so sorry,” she apologized profusely, “I thought you had left!” She waited patiently while I locked my safe deposit box. I did not want to stay in that panic room a minute longer so I rushed back to the comforts of my home.

This incident made me reflect on the functions of safe deposit boxes. Long ago,
people used to keep their money and valuables in the home: in cupboards, among
clothing, under the bed, inside pillows, in kitchen jars and even under the ground. Times
have changed. Homes are no more safe havens. Many people keep important documents and valuables in safe deposit boxes in banks.

How safe are safe deposit boxes? Are the rooms where they are kept safe too?
Discussions with some senior friends who patronise different banks gave me some ideas on what they like or dislike in vault rooms.

Top on the list is privacy, followed by good ventilation, proper lighting and adequate space.


Bank vaults with proper lighting, and ledges for placing boxes

“I value privacy,” said A. “The vault in the bank has a tiny room with a well-lit
ledge, a mirror and a curtain - very convenient when I take out jewellery for special occasions.”

“Too many customers are allowed in at one time,” said B. “Sometimes while
sorting out my jewellery, another customer comes in suddenly and I have no time to close my box. It is very disconcerting. I wish bank employees are more discrete and considerate.”

“The vault in the bank has too many boxes assembled from the floor to the roof
with little space for movement. Customers have to stoop very low or stretch very high to retrieve their boxes. My box is located at a high level but I dare not use the ladder available. Luckily, the bank employee helps me to take out and put in my box,” commented C.

Bank vaults reach up to the ceiling. It has a buzzer to call employee to open the door

“I applied for a box long ago,” said D, an elderly senior. “The room is small and
stuffy. It is dark and the passage-way is too narrow. I have to put my box on the floor to get my valuables while some customers have to hold on tight to the box with one arm and take out items with the other. The bank does not have a ledge that pops out from between the boxes.”

 “I like the large size box,” said E who recently acquired a box in a new bank.
“Files, certificates and documents can be put in easily without them being folded or crushed.”

In some banks, customers have to sign in and sign out but in other banks, only the
time of entry is recorded. Because bank employees have multifunctional roles,
sometimes they are not aware that a customer may still be in the vault.

Customers who pay annual fees expect banks to ensure that safety precautions are
attended to regularly. In cases of emergencies, example if a customer faints, falls or is locked in, having a panic button strategically placed will go a long way in making the bank vault a customer-friendly place.

Safe deposit boxes are meant for keeping valuables safely. It is important that the
rooms where they are kept are safe and panic-proof too.

......................................................................................................................
This article was published in the Star (Malaysian paper) on 25th June 2002.
Photos are added here.


No comments:

Post a Comment