Friday 21 August 2015

Taijiquan - gentle, graceful workout

Taijiquan: a gentle workout for the mind and body

What grace! I watched with wonder as if in a trance!

Is it the art of self-defence or a slow-motion dance?

I enquired, I tried, I persisted…I conquered.

It is Taijiquan and it has captured my heart.



Taijiquan, meaning ‘supreme energy’, has twenty-four movements.

It is enjoyed socially in a group or alone in quiet meditation.

Done outdoors or indoors, it requires no expensive equipment.

Just total mind concentration and muscle coordination.





Initially awkward and clumsy, I persevered tirelessly.

Practising with my trainer, I improved slowly but surely.

Every day as I move to the music in simple harmony,

I feel accomplished when my perspiration trickles down profusely.




Taijiquan endows me a sense of tranquility,

As I face each day with renewed energy.

A refreshed mind in a healthy body:

This is an invaluable exercise for me.




Come and join in this gentle workout,

Give it some of your time and effort.

Take up the opportunity,

Feel the flow of ‘qi’!

..........................................................................................
Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) is a gentle workout 
for the mind and body.
This poem was published in the Star on 24th March 2000. 
A photo is added here.

No comments:

Post a Comment